So today I turned 30. And instead of looking at any of the negative aspects I have anticipated, I decided to focus on what's good about me, and why being 30 is so much better than being 20. I've compiled a list of 30 things I like about myself, some silly, some serious. So if you don't want to know all about me and how fabulous I am (haha), stop reading this very second.
What I like about me:
1. I have lines around my eyes. This means I smile a lot.
2. I have the loudest laugh most people have heard, which used to embarrass me, but then I found a man who thinks it's one of my best qualities.
3. Sometimes I don't pee because I don't want to wash my hands. But the point is, I never pee without washing my hands.
4. I am extremely unselfish at least 95% of the time.
5. My legs are ridiculously strong.
6. As an addendum, my heinie is quite strong as well. These are both excellent qualities to have when you're a runner who likes to tackle hills. Neither my bootie nor my legs have ever let me down.
7. I'm a runner!
8. I had a baby, and I'm still a runner!
9. I have two college degrees and several assorted certifications. Although this does not make me a better stay-at-home mom, I am still proud of myself.
10. I type at machine-gun speed.
11. Fabric-flower making is one of my secret specialties.
12. My style is always changing. This says two things about me - that 13. I'm flexible, and 14. I'm current.
15. I never go a day without shaving my armpits. This really hits home for me as I recently attended a baby shower with someone who does not shave hers. And good for her for having that confidence.
16. I'm extremely good at laughing at myself. Good thing because...
17. I'm usually pretty darn funny.
18. I never ever gave up on Nathan, and I'm now I'm being rewarded with the most amazing, wonderful, thoughtful, loving husband on the planet.
19. Most days I'm a pretty fabulous wife and chef (cooking is my newly acquired art form).
20. I made a Milo.
21. I'm working on being an excellent mommy, which is a never-ending process. But I feel good about the direction I'm heading.
22. I like my eyes. Sometimes they're brown, and sometimes they're olive, and they're always very expressive. Plus I'm decent with eye makeup,which I also appreciate about myself.
23. My discernment is getting stronger and stronger the older I get. Like, I can spot a liar a mile away. And even if I don't always call someone out, I still know...
24. I love to learn.
25. I will always give someone the benefit of the doubt.
26. I'm finally learning to speak my mind and not let people run over me.
27. When I was little in the church nursery, I used to cry when the other babies cried. As I got older, life forced me to lose that sensitivity. I've regained it in the last year or so, and I really like that.
28. I really miss my dad. I know it's an odd thing to like about yourself, but it makes me treasure every moment that I have with Milo (and really with anyone special in my life).
29. I'm becoming wiser all the time. I've always been pretty smart, but wisdom and common sense haven't come as easily through the years.
30. I am divalicious, and that's what you really need to know (snap snap).
Hope you enjoyed this bit of self-indulgence. This is what happens when Nate and Ann are busy making me a birthday party (tomorrow night - I have no clue anything about it and I'm so delighted), and Milo's taking a nap. I get rather thoughtful. But since I ran almost 8 miles this morning and have been up since 4 a.m., perhaps a birthday nap is in order? Happy day of my birth to you.