Thursday, November 4, 2010

The joys of pregnant teaching

If I can teach an entire semester really pregnant, I can do anything.  And I can endure any comment.  For example:
"Ms. Jackson, I love your shirt.  It's so pretty, and it makes you look HUGE."
How does one respond to such a comment?  It's definitely a lesson in holding my tongue and using some tact...

I also tend to feel like a circus exhibit or a science project, as I have my students and random ones popping in to look at me and to try to feel my tummy.  Although it's not as awkward as I thought it would be, I still have some random moments of panic when I feel like if anyone else tries to touch me, I might lose my mind.

I was trying to remember if I ever had a pregnant teacher when I was in school, and the answer is NO.  How might I have reacted?  With tons of questions?  With casual indifference?  With delight when she left for maternity leave? 

Yesterday I taught my girls to diagram participles, on a curved line, and they said, "LOOK!  It's a pregnant tummy!!!  Ooooooh, Ms. Jackson.  We love diagramming these!"  It got even better when we diagrammed participles as predicate adjectives, which are the curved lines on a little stand with two legs.  Imagine their delight...  "Ms. Jackson - it's YOU!  A big pregnant tummy on two skinny legs!"

At least I got a nice compliment on my legs?

No comments:

Post a Comment