Monday, March 1, 2010

The view from Torrey Pines

Today I fell in love with running all over again. And, in fact, I re-discovered my stride. And let me explain, because I'm speaking literally and metaphorically...

I've been at an amazing conference in San Diego, filled with educators who are passionate about their work. And as fascinated as I have been with these presentations, I've also been discouraged about myself, because there is no way I have the time or energy to do as much as these people are talking about. And I started to notice that none of them are married. None of them have kids. They are literally married to their jobs, staying until 6:00, 9:00, 10:00 at night with students after working a full day. I even met a woman who did all of this on a volunteer basis. WHAT??? So here I am, beating myself up because I can barely make it through tutoring until 5:00.

And then I realized something. Teaching isn't my life. Now, don't get down on me here. I love teaching. I adore my students and literally adopt 100 new babies every single semester. Ask Nate - I can't stop talking about them, just like a proud parent might. And there are nights I worry about them, discuss their problems, pray for them as I'm falling asleep. But at the same time, I have a life outside of the classroom. That's okay, right?

Did I mention that I'm ridiculously spoiled? Because I am here on Torrey Pines Golf Course presenting at a conference. The school is paying for me to be here. And when I finished my sessions today, I put on my running shoes and went for the most exquisite run I have ever had, following a trail on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The sun was beginning to set and paint the water beautiful shades of salmon and fuchsia, the wind danced around me and I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. And I re-discovered my stride. I worked out the problems, made peace with my already passionate commitment to teaching and remembered that I love both teaching and runnning. And I remembered why I do it. Not to please anyone else. Not to be in competition or win any awards. I do it because it makes me happy. I don't have to change the world all at once. I'll settle for one student at a time, one great run at a time. And that's how I enjoy life.

Now, let me get back into my networking reception. There's a mariachi band calling my name...

No comments:

Post a Comment