Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Participles and Punctation marks

ME: Okay, who remembers from yesterday what a participle is?

CLASS: random comments "It looks like a verb but acts like an adjective..." "It ends in -ing or -ed..." "You can take it out of the sentence and it still makes sense!"

ME: Fantastic! You guys were definitely paying attention yesterday. I'm so proud. Now, take this a one step further. Who can give me a sentence with the word "running" as a participle?

long pause

crickets chirping

sweet little blank faces


STUDENT: The loose goat was running down the hall.

ME: stifling a giggle Almost, but that still shows me what he was doing, so it's an action verb. How could you make "running" describe something instead?

STUDENT: Hmmmm... The loose goat, running down the hall, tickled my teacher?

ME: insert hearty laugh Excellent. Let's diagram it.


Ahhh, my fabulous students. They never cease to amuse me, even on a gross Tuesday when we're discussing participles. Oh, and check out this message a student left for me on my board yesterday, word for word. Sweet, although grammatically incorrect...:

You are one of my favorite Mrs. Jackson (insert exclamation mark with heart for the point )
P.S. I love the new look! It real working for you!


Sigh. Please don't think I don't try.

No comments:

Post a Comment