Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Back in the saddle

And I'm home. Oh, thank goodness, I'm home. I love San Diego, I love the whirlwind feeling of travel, but when it comes right down to it, there's no place like my own bed, my own husband (who is still on his way back - last check he and the crew were in El Paso), my own dogs who are so delighted to see me that they've been hovering around my feet since I walked in the door. Jen and Mike welcomed me with open arms and open fridge (HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MICHAEL!!!!). I never thought I'd be so glad to get back to Lufkin, TX, but I am.

But more than my own bed or a little bit of privacy, I missed my sense of belonging, of purpose. Home is where I have family who love me and friends who care that I was gone. Home is where my students are, and when I'm away from it I worry whether they're getting the love and respect that I give them. Home is where two puppies jump straight up in the air to lick my face when I lean over because they are so excited that I'm back (and so proud of themselves for NOT tearing up the house even though I left the wrong key under the mat and they were prisoners in their own home for a full 28 hours).

WHEW! Lufkin, TX, here I am. Back and ready to go Go GO, because that's what I do. Oh, and pity me just a tiny bit tomorrow, as I'm home just in time for the English TAKS...

And by the way, yes, the run that I did at Torrey Pines is the Runner's World Rave Run this month. If you're a nerd like me, you know what that means. If not, you can check this out, but this picture doesn't do it justice like the fold-out spread in the magazine. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-239-281--13429-0,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment