Monday, March 8, 2010

Life is now

Life is a journey. We all hear that, but how many of us actually believe it? Because, until last night, I was living my life in a furious race to make it to some exact "destiny." And I wasn't exactly sure how I would know it when I got there, but it would be the culmination of years of... Well, years of what?

Nate and I were talking about where we wanted to be, what we wanted to see happening in our lives, and we both came to this startling conclusion. Life isn't a means to an end. There's no magical moment when we'll "arrive" at some sort of purpose. Rather, life is lived in the individual moments. Life is what we walk through and experience. Life is what's happening right this second, and if we constantly rely on the fact that someday we're going to get somewhere other than here, we're going to miss the experience of the right now.

I think Rita Dove said it best in her poem "Flirtation" :

There are ways
to make of the moment

a topiary
so the pleasure’s in

walking through.



So make today full of moments that are worth living.

1 comment:

  1. Sound advice. I plan to have a moment or two during fifth period.

    ReplyDelete