Friday, August 6, 2010

The bitter end

My last Friday of freedom until Thanksgiving, and it began with a nightmare and half of a strawberry cake donut.  One was terrifying, the other indigestion-inducing (I'll let you decide which was which).

Oh summer, where did you go?  I lost you in a haze of heat, vomit, and summer school.
Now I have to remember how to wash my hair every day, and wear "real clothes" even though it irritates me to have to get dressed these days.  Baggy tee-shirts and Nate's old boxers, kiss your fashionable days good-bye.  I'll only see you on the weekends, and even that's no guarantee.

No more lunches with Nate, or long-afternoon phone calls for no reason at all, or naps on the couch on accident.  Which means no more trips out in public with intense couch-print on my face and disheveled hair, the panel on my maternity shorts peeking out under my shirt.

And I'll miss the Wednesday "Family Day" trips to Tonkawa, swinging off rope swings into the icy-cold water in the middle of a 100-degree day and rescuing the boys from the newest bully on the bridge.

6:00 a.m., you will come way too early every day, and I won't even have a run to make you more pleasant.  And 4:00 p.m., you will always seem too far away to make me less exhausted, especially with dinner to be made and fun to be had.

Sigh.  Summer, oh summer, I miss you already.

No comments:

Post a Comment