Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Welcome to my world

Oh my word.  Is it possible? Could it be? Is it really... YES!  GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!  U.S. ADVANCES!!!!!

It's true.  I've failed to mention a very important fact.  I absolutely adore World Cup soccer (or any soccer, for that matter), and today I am brimming with pride for my country.  Imagine this...

Scene:  next-to-last day of summer school

Characters: one classroom of 11 students, mixed in gender and race, and one mini-pregnant teacher, all with a healthy respect for soccer but an unclear knowledge of whom to support (at least we weren't playing Mexico today...)

Mission:  to watch the United States play Algeria in full color, projected on the whiteboard in jumbo size, despite the fact that school is in session

And I am proud to say, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Oh yes, today all of grammar camp watched the game while the kids wrote essays and did a grammar review.  I found it completely necessary for their overall sense of patriotism and well-being that we support our team.  After all, I'm not just teaching grammar and writing.  I'm teaching life skills, manners, and good citizenship, and what better to do that than gather together and support Donovan, Dempsey, and the rest of the boys?

When the World Cup began, I got sucked in to the stories of the struggling host team, South Africa.  I was fond of Argentina, Mexico and Brazil.  I enjoyed the idea of these nations playing each other, and I asked Nathan what team he thought we should root for.  I don't know that I've ever seen a snottier face (much deserved) as he replied, "Um, last I checked we do live in America."

Ahhhh, touche, Nathan.  Point taken.  I began to support my own country (go figure), and I decided I liked this scrappy little team of ours.  In fact, I realized that we have a few rock stars worthy of taking on the rest of the world.  So I convinced our summer school director that it was vital that all of our students be allowed to watch today's crucial match and cheer the U.S. on past possible elimination.  She, of course, agreed, recognizing the necessity for the sake of our children (obviously for no other reason).

Now, keep in mind, I did have to sacrifice a slight amount of personal pride, considering the game ended with me shouting, jumping up and down and clapping.  Good thing we turned off the lights at the end so we could see it better.  But from someone who already has the FIFA World Cup app for my iPhone (brilliant), it's already too late to claim that I'm anything close to cool.

And now, after Donovan's genius goal to end the game and put the U.S ahead, Nathan and I have decided that we must eat an entirely patriotic meal tonight, dress in red, white, and blue, and celebrate the evening away (thank you, Lord, for letting my husband love this almost as much as I).

Go USA!!!

1 comment:

  1. Um, let it be known that it was MY idea to eat patriotic food and dress in red, white and blue.

    ReplyDelete