Sunday, June 13, 2010

A little random

Well, I have two things on my mind today, completely opposite and equally important.  Let's start with this:

Can you believe the sweetness in this face?  The slightly sassy stance?  Guess where she's headed?  Her first sleepover.  I can't even tell you how remotely cool I think Chloe is for going to her first sleepover at the age of 5.  I also can't tell you how much I admire the woman hosting a sleepover for a group of 5 year-old girls, but that's a whole different story.

So after I saw this precious picture, I got to thinking, "When on earth did I go on my first sleepover?"  Grandma's house doesn't count...

I'm pretty sure I was at least in 2nd or 3rd grade, and I didn't go on many.  And I'm also fairly confident that on my first sleepover, my friend Mandy's grandparents rented for us Ghostbusters (terrifying to a child) and Dirty Dancing (not even remotely appropriate at that age!), fed us ice cream and sugary cereal, and left us with nearly zero supervision.  My mother would have flipped her lid had she known what was going on there!

Remembering this sleepover has led me to this conclusion.  My child will not be able to attend a sleepover until he or she is at least 21.  In fact, we'll probably still need to hold hands in public until at least age 16.  Now I haven't discussed this with Nate, but I'm positive he'll agree... Well... Maybe?  And this holds especially true if our child is even half as cute as one of the little Dantlets.

And this brings me to my second thought today, and it's one that's been troubling me for some time.  Is anybody ever going to stop the oil leak in the Gulf?  Because I'm watching more and more reports of sea turtles and birds washing up dead on the shores, and hearing more and more about the spill spreading across the Gulf, and by golly, it's really starting to make me frustrated.  If I knew what to do I'd march down there myself and take care of it, but surely, in this age of technology, someone could put aside thoughts of money and just focus on solving the problem?  I won't turn this into an EPA-style rant because it makes my blood pressure go up, but I'm really thinking that if we can't conserve the resources God gave us, he's just going to take them away...

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Kate! Just wanted to tell you that I love your blog! I've become a bit of a blog junkie since we moved to France (my boredom prompts me to find new hobbies), and yours is one of my favorites. I love the thoughtful and witty style of your writing. Always a treat. And congratulations on your peanut! If you don't have the most stylish and adorable child on the planet, I will be shocked and sorely disappointed. hehehe. And you really got me in the mood for a smoothie, gosh darnit, and they don't have good smoothies here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, thanks, Angie! I miss you and your fabulous cooking, but I'm sure France is absolutely amazing. When do you guys come home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're coming home to visit in a few weeks for the 4th, but we don't get to move back to Texas until December. I'm looking forward to an 80 degree Texas Christmas! It was FREEZING here all winter. I'm not well-suited for the cold. Good luck with summer school and enjoy your smoothies!

    ReplyDelete