Thursday, June 24, 2010

Last Day

LAST DAY OF SUMMER SCHOOL!!!

Just to make my life interesting, one of my students is so hungover that he can't keep his head up.  He's sitting with the trashcan next to him and moaning while the other kids are trying to take their grammar final.  Ahhhh, the delight.  The principal told me I am supposed to let him go to the bathroom as much as he needs to, because the kid just came up to him and straight-up said he had too much to drink last night.  In other words, I'm being asked to cater to a student who spent all last night underage drinking and somehow managed to stumble to school today.  I guess we're rewarding him for his honesty?

I offered him a Coke and a piece of gum, and a word of advice, "Don't throw away your entire summer school grade today just because you made a stupid decision last night and are reaping the consequences."
What I really wanted to add is that I spend every morning throwing up and still have to come to work chipper and ready to go.  Being pregnant is like a constant state of feeling hungover. 

Aside from that, though, I'm almost going to miss my little class.  They've been practically precious, and when other kids at summer school were making trouble, we remained blissfully unaware (except the day I broke up that fight between some kids from another class down the hall).  They did everything I asked them without complaint, and actually came out as some decent writers on top of it.  Yesterday they told me how much they're going to miss me (most of them have to take another class for the second summer session), which was absolutely adorable.

I told them I was going to miss them, too...  while I am sleeping in every day next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment