Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A thought on free speech

Warning: Rant to follow.

We Americans love our free speech.
That is, unless someone else's free speech interferes with our opinion, right?

I read an article the other day about a celebrity who is being railed on because of some comments he made on gay marriage. Was he just out and about, bashing gay people and having a heyday? Nope. He was asked point blank by an interviewer and responded honestly. God forbid, right?

First things first. I have friends and people around me who, when asked, tell me the honest truth. If I don't want the honest truth on whether my butt looks big, my hair is a wreck, or I'm making the wrong decision, I don't ask those people. When will we learn? If you don't want to know someone's honest opinion, don't ask them. Right? And since when do you have to be a certain orientation or nationality to earn your free speech?

As a journalist, I value the right to express myself. No, not the right to go out and slam people for no reason, or to make people feel bad about the way they live their lives. But the right to express an opinion in a tasteful and respectful manner. But gosh, I've even felt compelled to edit myself on my personal blog because I had to be concerned with what others would think. We don't all agree in this world. Thank goodness, because we'd be living in a lot less colorful place. Variety is the spice of life, and I value people who will disagree with me and challenge me. I wish we could all feel the same.

Okay. Tangent concluded. Have a lovely day.

1 comment: