Thursday, October 7, 2010

Road Trip Part 2

Psssssst. 
Guess what?

I'm stalling.  Biding my time until I can actually force myself to figure out what on earth my kids are doing today.  That's right.  I waited until the last minute, and now I'm down to the wire with 30 minutes and a very sparse lesson.  (sigh)  Truth be told, I'm just not feeling it today, but I need to get my act together before I see a single student...

But while I'm doing that, let me tell you about Part 2 of my road trip.

After the funeral and luncheon last Wednesday, Jen, Ann, and I hit a few Rockford stops, the first being Grandma's house, which seemed completely empty without her.  Being the only knitter in the family, I got to take some of her precious needles and yarn, which made me feel good.  Grandma would have loved for me to have these things, and I even found some blue and white baby yarn to make something for Milo.  I'm going to consider it her blanket to him.

We also stopped at Beef-a-Roo for cheddar fries.  If you've never had them, I can't even begin to describe how fatty, unhealthy, and divinely delicious they are. And, of course, we stopped at Mary's Market for breakfast pastries and coffee (don't worry, just for Jen).  Were it humanly possible for me to pack up the whole restaurant and bring it back with me, I would have, because we are completely lacking something so lovely here in Lufkin.

And then it was off to Elgin to see Grandma Marilyn.  I couldn't wait to see her, especially since I was feeling so extremely sentimental.  And my feisty Grandma didn't disappoint.  She served us pizza on Chicago Bears plates, with Chicago Bears napkins, and our drinks were, of course, also served in Chicago Bears cups.  Oh, it was a feast, indeed, and Grandma even packed up a cup and some napkins to send home for Nate, who is a die-hard Cowboys fan.  Reminder:  3 weeks ago, the Bears beat the CowboysIt was definitely a high point for me, considering I was raised a Bears fan and rarely see them win.

Grandma thought I looked adorable pregnant, and after a thorough check, including lifting up my shirt to get a good view of my butt, decided that I'm not gaining weight anywhere but my stomach (and my giant bust).  I got the seal of approval, which felt pretty darn good.

After an amazing evening visiting with Grandma, we hit the hay, only to awaken at 5 a.m. Thursday.  Yes, the long trip back was about to begin.  Sarah, Bryan, Mikey, and the girls decided to sleep in Thursday and start the drive around 1 (Let me also mention that they thought they could still speed and beat us home, and continued to taunt us about it until Bryan finally got pulled over and issued a ticket.  I don't want to say, "HAH!!!" or anything, but...).  Jen had to be back for work on Friday, so it was imperative that we leave.  However, it was NOT imperative that we drive straight through without stopping at an outlet mall on the way back through Illinois.  That's right, around 10 a.m. we saw it, and an angel choir and the voice of God compelled us to stop, where we shopped our little hearts out for about 2 hours.  It was a completely worthwhile and necessary trip, especially since we were such troopers all the rest of the way home.  We made it back by 1:30 a.m. on Friday, and sleep has never felt so sweet after a week of going practically without it. 

Yes, I stopped every two hours to "fully empty my bladder and walk around for a few minutes" as my doctor instructed.  Yes, I was completely uncomfortable and itchy a majority of the way home (and the weekend after we arrived).  Yes, I spent the entire weekend crying my eyes out after I was able to be still for a while.  And yes, I am completely and utterly glad that I went.  Even though my students gave my substitute such a fit that he told on me to my department head.  But that's another story for a completely different day.

And now I'm off to my lesson plans, which I have 15 minutes to get under control.  Glad you're not a teacher?

1 comment:

  1. Your assignment for the day should be they are still sitting in total silence and copying from the dictionary. kids, kids, kids!

    ReplyDelete