Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fashion Disaster

Today was a bad day, and I'm blaming it entirely on my outfit.  I hated it to begin with, but I wore it anyway, and I'm certain it spoiled everything.  Or maybe it was the lack of makeup and the horrible messy-bun hair?  Either way, I found myself feeling just plain pissy all day long.  Here I was, trying to switch things up and wear something different from my usual dress and boots, and it went horribly awry.  So why bother?

My theory is that if I could just find enough cute dresses to wear every day for the rest of my pregnancy, I might be able to pull off a much better attitude on a daily basis.  Because finding pants that actually stay up, with panels that don't itch, that correspond with tops that actually cover my growing tummy but don't swallow me, is getting to be more than this little fashionista can handle. 

I went to the trouble to pair an ironed (now that's a feat in itself) dress shirt under a short-sleeved sweater, with dress pants and a pair of flats.  But then there was the tummy problem, so I added an undershirt tucked into the pants (which was more than a headache every time I went to the bathroom).  I spent most of the day pulling my pants up and my shirts down, and by lunchtime I was hot, itchy, and starving. 

One of my students literally told me, "Ms. Jackson, you look plain today."  Plain?  Excuse me?  I may have been accused of a lot of things, like over-using glitter and sparkles, but I have never been called plain.  My feelings were mortally wounded, yet all I could do was sigh and say, "Well, I feel plain today."  Keep in mind, blech, uncomfortable, and irritated much more accurately described how I felt, and I almost told her that, until I realized that I was the teacher and she was the student (look at me still being professional).

I used to love a challenge, but these days, I'm just too darn tired to care.  So you may see me in the same gray or black dress every single day until Milo comes, or the same pair of Nate's old boxers that I wear every night with the largest tee-shirt I can find.  Repeating outfits.  (shudder)  It's a pregnancy necessity.  All I know is that I'm mentally filing today's outfit in the "NEVER AGAIN" category. That is, if my pregnant brain can keep track of anything...

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kate! I don't miss those days of preggers AT ALL! I wore ONE PAIR OF PANTS the entire last month with Avery....literally 30 days in a row. AWFUL. You will be back to your old self in no time....HANG IN THERE!
    PS - I Looooove your blog.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Kate! I know the feeling, though I can say I'm not quite the fashionista as you, but I understand! Have you tried Motherhood Materinity? Or Zulily.com? Both have really cute clothes - and dresses! I'm sure you are adorable in anything!! Just keep telling yourself 9 more weeks!

    ReplyDelete