Thursday, October 28, 2010

Birthing Class #1

Yesterday the school blocked me from my blog, so I didn't have the opportunity to tell you about Nate's and my first birthing class Tuesday night.  Maybe it's a good thing I had a day to process, though...

Because nothing, and I do mean nothing, can erase from my mind what I saw.  It was the first night, and our very first introduction to the class involved over an hour of photos, stories, videos, etc. of horrible car accidents that took multiple lives and destroyed everything in their paths.  I think there were maybe 10 minutes of discussion on child safety seats, and the importance of putting a child in one in the car, but aside from that, I felt like I was taking defensive driving all over again (not that I've ever had to take it...).  At one point, Nate forbade me from even looking at the video, where Sarah McLachlan's "Arms of the Angel" played behind scenes of death and destruction.  I think he felt bad after I was so startled by the video of a man being thrown from his car and run over by other cars on a freeway.  I sat quietly and twiddled my thumbs, wondering if I was in the right place.

And then I looked around me, at the host of bloated, cranky, hungry pregnant women around me and knew that we, indeed, did wind up where we needed to be.  And as Janet told me I would before class, I felt like the hottest (and tiniest) woman there.  My hair was up, but not in a messy side ponytail.  I had cute jeans and a nice shirt, instead of sweatpants and an oversized t-shirt.  I had even taken the time to put in my contacts that morning, instead of rolling out straight from a nap in glasses.  WOW.  It was quite the scene.

Next week pairs the birthing video (EEEEEK!!!!  I'm already in this predicament, with no way out.  Don't scare me like that!) with the birthing unit tour (which I'm really curious about).  I had originally said we'd skip video night, but I really want to see what kind of room I can expect. Oddly enough, our teacher said that this night is her favorite.  I think I'd rather have a home birth than watch this video, but I know we'll end up there, and I'm positive Nate will forbid me to watch this video, too.  And I'm okay with it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is pretty scary! Why in the world would they subject a roomful of pregnant women to that? I think we had a class on general child safety - which included car seats and other safety items, like outlet covers and cabinet door locks, but no video on car accidents! Hope the rest of your classes go better!

    ReplyDelete