Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The day that just wouldn't quit

Just when I thought today couldn't get any more exciting - or trying...  Someone threw up.

More specifically, someone in my class threw up.

Even more specifically, someone in my class threw up on her desk and all over my floor. 

And now I can't stop gagging.  Don't get me wrong - I immediately sent the ill student to the nurse and took my whole class next door to the empty room.  But when I think about heading back into my room for the next period, I literally can't hold my lunch down.  I start gagging just walking down the hall toward the classroom.  What's a pregnant girl with an extremely sensitive gag reflex to do?

You know, when I agreed to teach high school, it was mostly on the assumption that high school students don't require the level of nurturing that younger students do.  For example, they, in theory, go to the restroom on their own, blow their own noses, and at least make it to a trash can when they feel sick to their stomachs.  I'm starting to wonder, though, if the only difference is that high schoolers have the capacity for making much larger messes.  And let me say this.  The day one of my kids pees or poops his own pants will be my last day teaching high school.

Either way, I have to be finished with this post or I'm going to be the one making a mess.  And I still have one more class period to go.  Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh! What are you going to do when Milo throws up? Oh, wait, that'll be Nate's job, right?

    ReplyDelete