Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I didn't actually sniff it...

So it was another eventful evening at the Dant home.  We stopped by for a few minutes after church to say hi, and we weren't there more than five minutes when Chloe crept up behind Nate and hovered around him.  She was apparently trying to be a puppy, and you may know what that means...  But apparently Nate didn't.

Nate: "Chloe, what are you doing?"

Chloe: "I'm trying to smell your butt.  You know, like puppies do."

Now I didn't hear any of this exchange.  All I saw was Nate, stifling laughter, saying, "But Chloe, we're humans, not puppies."  Somehow I knew exactly what had happened, as did Jen and Mike, who were both mortified and sent her off to her room.

Chloe came back, quite penitent, after a long conversation with her daddy.  She beckoned to Nate to squat down so she could whisper to him.

Chloe: "Pippin, I'm sorry I tried to smell your bottom.  I didn't actually sniff it.  But I was trying."

As soon as the word "bottom" left her mouth, Nate almost didn't make it through the rest of the apology. She and her extra-satiny pajama bottoms sauntered off into the other room, and the rest of us were left to our own hysterical laughter.

Oh, and I didn't mention that while all this was going on, Conner was drinking orange juice straight from a pitcher and Alex was playing air guitar, and later telling us that he hoped he found a friend at school this year who "also has dreams of becoming a genius."

Got to love those Dantlets.

1 comment: