Monday, May 24, 2010

the PERFECT weekend

Well let me just start off your Monday by telling you how divine my weekend was.  In a word - spectacular.  You see, I have this amazing husband who absolutely loves to spoil me, and he pulled out all the stops for our anniversary weekend.

Now, mind you, this was a special anniversary - our 5th, on 05/20/2010.  And Nate loves numbers divisible by 5 (one of his most adorable quirks), so he was extra excited about this one.

So we left on Saturday morning and drove to Houston to grab a bite to eat at Panera Bread, which I can never resist, no matter how bad the morning "ickness" is.  We looked at baby clothes in a posh little store called Mint Baby, and headed to our first destination - the Museum of Natural History.  I have never been there (go figure, considering how much I love dinosaurs and planets), and Nate had a special treat: a movie at the planetarium theater.  How awesome is that?  It literally looked like a planetarium, with the dome ceiling and reclining seats, and at first I was confused about how we would see the stars during the day.  But they actually project movies across the dome, so it looked like we were flying through outer space.  I gave it two happy thumbs up, especially because I got to lie down during the whole thing. 

Then, my fabulous husband actually planned naptime for me.  Hello?  Can you say perfect?  So I cozied up at our hotel with the air conditioning cranked and the covers pulled up to my nose and had such a delightful rest while he went out to get my gift (yes, I got a nap and a gift at the same time).  When he came back to wake me up he had brought the most amazing camera/videocamera that I have ever seen and it was all for me, ahem, I mean, all for us (wink wink).  So now I have a new toy, and I'm frantically learning everything I can about it.

After that, we got dressed and went to Whole Foods Market, which is second to heaven for me, and picked out as many yummy things as we could hold for our picnic at Miller Outdoor Theater, which was showing the opera Tosca!!!  My very first opera, and it couldn't have been more exquisite.  The geniuses who put it on figured out that a small screen at the top could play subtitles, so no one had to struggle to figure out what was going on.  Plus the weather was perfect, we were at the top of a hill with the wind blowing and our picnic in full swing, and the music was gorgeous.  I had to pinch myself multiple times to make sure it was all real.

We rounded out the evening with another picnic in our hotel room - snacks from Taco Cabana (another first) with the balcony door open to the gorgeous Houston skyline.    I wish I were back there right now instead of at work on a Monday morning...

On Sunday we got up, searched for an Astros t-shirt for me (found a cute one with sparkles) and headed to the Astros game with the Foys - such good times!  I put the new camera to good use, and Nate had his fill of ballpark hotdogs, and although we were sad about the Astros losing, it still ended up being a great time.  On the way home to Lufkin we ate at PeiWei (fabulous) and grabbed some Baskin Robbins ice cream.  All in all, I spent the entire weekend smiling.  It was perfect.

So now it's Monday, and my new pre-natal vitamins are making me burp up the taste of fish sticks.  I'm trying to remind myself that there's only a week of school left, and that I can do (almost) anything for a week.  I guess the memories of this weekend and my swell new camera should keep me busy, at least for today.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds like a wonderful weekend! Glad you were able to enjoy it :) Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a great weekend! Just think - one more week of school left & you'll get to take all the naps you want!

    ReplyDelete