Thursday, April 15, 2010

HELP!

Okay, I'm going to do it.  I'm going to tell my business and ask for some help, but I'm mortified to do it.  I've been trying to hide my concern, but some of my readers have already given me some great potty training advice...

Something is wrong with my dog.  My poor little (big) Chessie, Berkley, is scratching, and scratching, and scratching...  Taking a break and then scratching some more.  There's not a flea on her - we've checked repeatedly.  And not only is she scratching, but she's scratching herself ragged, giving herself scabs, pulling out giant patches of hair.  What on earth is wrong with her, and what do I do???

You might be saying to yourself, "Well, just take her to the vet.  DUH."  And that's the problem.  For the next few weeks, it's just not possible.  So has anyone experienced this problem with any of their dogs?  I'm wondering if she might be allergic to something.  Are Chessies prone to allergies?  Or is there something else dramatically wrong with her?

I'm about to start giving her some children's Benadryl (recommended by some online vets) to see what happens, but if you have any extra advice, or are vastly opposed to this idea, weigh in on the issue, won't you?  I'm willing and ready for it...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like she might have mange. It might be allergies, but something that prolonged and that causes such a sever reaction sounds like a type of mange. You may not want to wait to take her to the vet because if it is one type of mange is VERY contagious, and can be shared between your other dogs.
    This is from a online source.
    There are a few different types of Dog Mange that can affect Dogs:

    * Demodectic (Red Mange, Demo Mange, Demodex, Canine Demodectic Mange)
    * Sarcoptic (Sarcoptes)
    * Cheyletiella (Walking Dandruff)
    If you really can't go to a vet in the next couple weeks you might try researching a home remedy (I don't know of any effective ones).

    Allergies in pets do not usually cause such chronic itching. Usually the cause of allergies in dogs is related to diet. Most dog foods use a lot of vegetables such as corn or wheat and dogs digestive systems are not vegetarian by nature (sorry Kate). A change in diet to a dog food that has a different main ingredient from the one you are currently using might help.

    Unfortunately several years ago I had a dog with a severe skin problem. He couldn't play or do anything without stopping to scratch. We had many vet appointments and tried lots of cures. In the end we determined that his skin was attacking itself. We didn't spend more money for lab work to find out exactly why, but at that point he was almost bald and we finally put him to sleep. Very sad story I know.

    I sincerely hope you are able to find your pup some relief.
    On a another note mange or skin mites are treatable, but not in a quick fix. Most take several weeks or months to fully clear up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i agree it sounds like mange....hopefully the benedryl will help until you get her to the vet ...also oatmeal shampoo or anti-itch shampoo might help as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could be a food allergy. Yes Chessies can have those. But it could be a lot of different things.

    Here is a website with a lot of health info on Chessies:

    http://www.chessieinfo.net/

    Call her breeder for more advice.

    Since you posted this last week, I hope Berkley is better by now!

    ReplyDelete