Thursday, February 11, 2010

The giggles

Yep, I have them, and at completely inappropriate times. For example, our church class on Wednesday nights, or while my students are writing a class essay. But I can't seem to stop giggling, and honestly, that's okay with me.

I laughed through most of last night and have continued to laugh throughout this morning. I apparently have the permanent giggles, starting with a man whose last name is Nipples. Well, not really. But it's pretty darn close, and that's all that matters. On top of that, last night when Nate took off his hat, he managed to have a set of perfectly formed mall bangs. You know the type, where the front half is combed straight forward and the back half is curled straight backward. I swear to you, Nate's hat-head is masquerading as early 90s mall hair. It's truly amazing, and I wish I could share with you the pictures I took, but I swore a solemn oath not to. Just try to get him to take off his hat next time you see him...

And now let me go the completely opposite direction and show you what I read this morning. Put the thoughts of Nate and nips (in no way correlated) aside and get out your serious face for a second.

"Whenever you're trying to look better than others or get the better of others, things fall apart and everyone ends up at the others' throats." (James 3:16 The Message)
EEEEEEEK!!! Could this be any more clear? Stop trying to get ahead! The person who is always concerned about himself and how he looks only ends up causing problems. The world is at war. Isn't that enough? I want to live in peace in my everyday life, starting by looking out for someone other than myself.

Okay, deep breath. Let it soak in and make a wrinkle on your brain...
And go ahead and laugh again. Think about this. As I walked through a crowd of small children last night at church, one girl pointed at me and said to her teacher, "Why does that lady have that thing on her nose?" (before you tell me to get that booger, know that she was referring to my nose ring), to which the teacher responded, "Oh sweetie, that's just some... adult jewelry." I've never felt so disgusting about my facial piercing in my life. But at least my last name isn't a body part.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first night i came to LFA...it was a wednesday night church service in the student center...I was introduced to you that night....and remember seeing your piercing and was just like that is coolest most awesome thing ever that you were wearing your piercing to church(or just n general)....lol half my family is penecostal and i went to a boring baptist church when i was little so that lil nose ring of yours opened a whole new world for me...lol

    ReplyDelete