Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dear East Texas...

Dear East Texas,
I have a few questions for you; just some things that have both confused and troubled me for some time now, and I hope you can offer me some insight.

What is woppeyjawed? And how on earth is it spelled (since I apparently did it phonetically)? Can I become woppeyjawed? Can one become un-woppeyjawed, or is this a permanent condition?

Finish this statement: The bigger the cowboy hat... ??? Is this a status thing, or are we dealing with a severe case of insecurity?

A toboggan is a long sled that is especially good for riding double. Why must you refer to hats as such?

Is it appropriate (or necessary) to ride a horse on a major city street in the middle of downtown?

Am I really the one who talks funny?

And finally, is it your fault or mine that I decided to wear pleated pants today with a banded shirt and came out looking like a square on legs?

Sincerely,
Ms. Kate (a.k.a. the Yankee)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, reaching today, aren't you?

    I think it's womper-jawed.

    The bigger the cowboy hat... the more bow-legged the cowgirl (one version).

    Because only weirdos call sleds toboggans. And only Yankees call toboggans beanies.

    Yes, it's completely appropriate, but entirely unnecessary. This IS Texas, you know. Same goes for tractors.

    And, yes, you are the one that talks funny.

    I'll leave the last one to the fashionista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wikipedia has a good article on toboggan. It can refer to a sled or a hat. Go figure.

    woppeyjawed is close in meaning to askew, crooked, out of sorts. So one could come in and out of the state of woppeyjaw-ness.

    Yes, if you don't speak with a long drawl, then you are talking funny.

    P.s. I love a good diagramming as well. Who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hee hee.

    Oh my little yankee.

    Quit playing...you know you've been married to a Texan long enough to answer all of these questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate I'm with you! I personally could rewrite this article and title it Dear Tennessee.

    In Tennessee it is just boggan. I actually never realized it was a shortened version of the word toboggan, until you clarified the issue.

    You'll know you've lived there too long when they cease to immediately ask you, "Who's your Daddy?" or "You ain't from around here are ya?"

    So from one southern Yankee to another, "Why, bless your heart honey!"
    And no that's not a question.

    ReplyDelete