Friday, February 19, 2010

"The Incident"

Here's an old story of mine that I can't get off my mind. Comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

The cold steel doors of the elevator close inches from my nose. Interestingly enough, they seem to be polished, and I can see my reflection, slightly distorted. Good, this will allow me to scrutinize the couple beside me, a psychiatrist and her patient. She is tiny and disgustingly adorable—everything I am not, all blonde hair, blue eyes, and perfect white teeth. He, on the other hand, chills me. With spidery limbs, pallid skin and greasy dark hair, he gives me the impression of some sort of overgrown vermin. His bloodshot eyes meet mine in the reflection, and I turn my head. This tiny elevator is starting to feel like a coffin, and thirty-four floors is a long way up.
The doors open and I step quickly from the elevator, trying to calm my tense nerves. The sea of lifeless bodies before me stops me in my tracks. A deep breath will be irrelevant at this point. Sucking in the pungent smell of death will only serve to terrify me more. This is the part of my job that I can’t get used to. And death is all over the city these days, painting the cityscape gray and sending countless hordes into hiding. The once constant drone of the city has evaporated into infinite stillness. The few cars that do venture out stalk through the dense fog in fear. Yes, life has changed since “the incident.”
I shake my head quickly to clear it and then glance at the lone coroner scurrying across the holding room. Large fluorescent bulbs blink on and off, illuminating faces frozen forever with terror, neatly arranged in rows.
“We’re here to identify a body,” I say, hopefully sounding more confident than I feel. “Maybe even a few.”
“Well you have 347 to choose from. The nameless are increasing every day…” He retreats quickly into his office, like a mouse diving into a hole.
I turn to Julie and her patient, who gazes on the scene with a twisted smile.
“Have a look, sir. Let me know if you find any of your family.”
He laughs somewhat maniacally. “Somehow I can’t imagine I will. But all the same, I’d love to have a look. Truly…”
I shrug him off and eye the psychiatrist. “Julie, keep a close eye on him,” I whisper.
“He’s harmless, Callie. Just as disturbed by the incident as the rest of us. Let’s give him a little space.”
My skin crawls as I watch the man weaving slowly amongst the bodies, his smile reminiscent of a wild animal baring its teeth. He takes his time, touching each as he passes, but not lingering long enough to identify any.
“So the incident…” he remarks. “Have you found the man responsible for all this death? Deteriorated lungs? Sounds serious, especially on such a large scale.” He meets my eyes arrogantly.
“That’s confidential,” I wave him off.
He ignores the gesture. “Obviously you haven’t, then, or it would be plastered all over the papers. Any leads?”
“Again, confidential. Appreciate the concern, though.” My voice drips sarcasm as I wheel around to question the coroner.
“If I were you, I’d be very cautious. You just never know when you’ll run into someone unsavory around here… This city saturates people with evil, even those you’d never suspect. Most ‘incidents’ are more than they appear.”
I pivot slowly to face him. “What did you just say?”
He smiles again, realizing he’s won this round. “Not a thing, my dear. Not a thing. But pretty little things like you should proceed carefully. Remember that.”
“We’re obviously finished here,” I snap. “Let’s go.”
I nod at Julie as the smile melts from his face. She turns toward the elevator and he follows, calmly sizing her up. I wait a few seconds, then step into the elevator after them. Thirty-four floors down and I’m nervous already.
Suddenly, he whips around to face me, screaming like an animal in a trap, meeting my eyes as he does so. I suck in my breath, and the scream fades into a grin. He steps back calmly, putting his arm around Julie. “Oh, excuse me,” he says in mock apology.
She shrugs, and mouths, “Sorry.” Dealing with mental patients every day has thickened her skin.
DING. The elevator reaches the ground floor and I’m out before the doors fully open. “Julie.” I pull her aside. “Something’s off with this one. Be careful.”
“Callie, I’m fine. I deal with these people all the time. We’re headed back to the hospital, and I’ll give him something to help him rest. Good luck with the investigation. I’m sorry we weren’t more help.”
She turns away, flipping her hair at the patient. “Ready?”
Wordlessly, they trudge down the street. He takes her hand, glancing over his shoulder at me with a wink. Something tells me our “incident” was no accident. And somehow I know this is the last time I’ll see Julie, whether I try to stop him or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment