Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Late nights and looooooong days

It's 2:30 a.m. Guess what I'm doing?

1. Itching. It's what I do every time I try to lie down and go to sleep. Frustrating? Yes.
2. Pinning random things on Pinterest - newborn pic ideas, hairstyles, funny quotes... Thought it would make me sleepy, but I have yet to wear out.
3. Thinking about going to McDonald's. Normally I detest it, but every once in a while a burgerless cheeseburger sounds like a delight.
4. Regretting the Mountain Dew Baja Blast Freeze I drank earlier (shhh, do not ever tell my doctor that I would drink such a highly caffeinated piece of nonsense). I'm pretty sure it has a hand in tonight's bout of insomnia.
5. More itching. Thank you, pregnancy.

So guess what I'm not doing? Oh, that's right. Sleeping. When I was pregnant with Milo I could sleep through literally every hour of the day and night. It was impressive. Somehow I can tell Lucy is already going to be vastly different since this pregnancy has been so crazy different. And I'm wondering how chasing my spunky little two-year old is going to go tomorrow.

Anyway, I've also been thinking a lot about the detestable explosions at the Boston Marathon today (I guess it's technically yesterday at this point). Being a runner, it makes it heartbreaking. I can recall every bit of the excitement, anticipation, pain, endurance, and elation that has come with every single long-distance race I've run, and I can also envision people who have waited at the finish line to cheer me on. The idea that any of our lives could have been ended or we could have been harmed there is chilling. The fact that we live in a world where these kind of random acts are commonplace is grotesque to me.

I've been thinking about the sanctity and fragility of human life a lot, probably given the fact that I'm growing a tiny human as we speak. It's hard work being pregnant, and it takes a long time, and it takes an even longer time to raise a child. Anyone who would flippantly extinguish even one such life seems unworthy of even the most basic human kindness. I would speak even more strongly on it, but it's late, and I can't go saying things that would get me into trouble. What a sad act performed by a true coward. My friend E had a thing or two to say, and far more poignantly than I could manage this evening (that's why she's a true diva). You should check it out - http://latterdaybohemian.com/2013/04/on-boston/.

That's what's on my mind. Hopefully you're asleep at this point and maybe I'll be on my way soon.

1 comment: