Friday, January 18, 2013

Lesson learned

Every now and then I make a mistake in judgment, and I always manage to pay for it.
Yesterday we ran out of dog food, and like the loving pet owner that I am, I didn't want to wait until the end of the day to feed them. After pitiful glances from both of them, and a lot of frantic running in circles by Bruiser, I decided to feed them the leftover macaroni and cheese from lunch. What's the harm in that, right? After all, they gobble up anything Milo drops at meal time. However, they never get people food, so when I offer it to them, they get a little thrown off. They nibbled at their meal, leaving half in the bowl, and I promptly forgot about it after mentioning how snotty they are.

Fast forward a few hours. I was sitting at the computer and finishing a knitting project. Milo was riding a little fire truck in and out of the kitchen, I'm assuming because it rolled better on the linoleum floor. All of a sudden, he was standing next to me with a handful of noodles and his mouth full, telling me, "Mommy, I eating noonies! Dogs eating noonies!"

Oh yes, my child was eating noodles. From the dog bowl. Where the dogs had also been eating. Poor Milo, because I literally screamed, "Oh ew! No no no! We don't eat noonies from the dog bowl! We don't eat anything from the dog bowl - ew ew ew ew EW!" He just threw out that bottom lip, opened his hand, and let the soggy noodles drop to the floor (where the snotty dogs finally ate them).

We both learned an important lesson. Milo learned not to eat from the dog bowl, no matter how tempting the food in there is (oh my word, ew). I learned that my dogs can just wait until the end of the day when I have the car to go buy them some dog food. Let's be honest - they weren't that hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment