Wednesday, May 16, 2012

When in doubt, wear a tutu.

Nathan and I have joked before about the fact that if we ever have a little girl, I'll dress her in tutus and bows all the time. In fact, I'm pretty sure my creative womb will go ahead and knit her one while she's in there, and she'll come out clothed in tulle. A girl can dream, right? (No, I'm not pregnant or even thinking about it at this point, just in case that was the next thought in your head.)

I saw a quote once: "When in doubt, wear a tutu." I completely agree with this logic and feel like every little girl should have more than one fluffy skirt to wear at any given moment. So today, I made Lily a fabric scrap tutu. I've seen pictures of them before, and I'm not sure if there's some sort of technique to it, but I just grabbed a thin elastic headband and got to work double knotting scraps on there. Here's a picture of the work in progress.


I laid the circle out on the table and then got to work, tying similar scraps of fabric (which obviously needed to be twice as long as my desired length on Lily) across from each other, and then adding tulle in to fill the gaps. This is where you have to decide if you're extremely anal and want perfect symmetry, or whether you can be a little bit random as you go (guess which one I am?). I added and added until I got what I thought was the right volume.


In the end, I thought it turned out adorably well, especially for my first experiment with fabric scrap tutus. Lily was pretty pleased for two reasons - I think she knew she looked adorable, and she had a new chew toy attached at the waist.



Project complete, smiles all around, happy Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment