Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pop Quiz

It's been a while since I told you some things you might not know about me, and I was inspired by my friend E's post here. I guess I'm not really afraid to tell you these things, but they do make me seem a little quirky. However, in the spirit of full disclosure and being the same person in public and private, here you go.

1. Sometimes when I make dinner, I look at a piece of meat and have this deep revelation that, very recently, it used to be a living thing, with a heartbeat and everything. It makes me really nervous, to tell you the truth. Perhaps this somehow factors into my being a vegetarian?

2. I am completely and utterly grossed out by my own hair when it's not attached to my head anymore. And I have a lion's mane of thick, wavy hair, so it tends to get everywhere. There are mornings when I gag getting my hair out of the shower drain, and if it's on the counter, it's all over...

3. Some days I feel really bad for thinking that, every now and then, I'd just like to get out of my house all by myself and not have to be responsible for anyone. In fact, I feel guilty typing it right now.

4. I have this strange need to create. Not just a desire, but a somewhat desperate longing that makes me a little miserable when it goes unfulfilled. When I was teaching, it was lesson plans, curriculum, and handouts. Now that I stay at home, it's headbands and knit goods and crafts and cookies and whatever else I can get my hands on. And when I start something, I have to finish it. As soon as possible.

5. I hate sweeping and mopping my kitchen floor almost more than any other household chore. It could be that the dog beds and bowls are in the kitchen, so any good I do is immediately undone as soon as they go in there, but I don't even need an explanation. I just plain hate it.

6. I'm completely hooked on documentaries and Bollywood films. Nate's not a huge fan of either, but when Ann's home, it is ON.

7. I obviously never knew Maurice Sendak (author of Where the Wild Things Are), but I sat very still when I found out today that he passed away (Yahoo story here). My heart is truly grieved about this, though I can't explain to you exactly why. Perhaps because Where the Wild Things Are was so special to me when I was little, it represents a huge part of my childhood. Anyway, yes, I'm that nerd who cries a little when an author dies. I'm not ashamed of it.

8. I secretly dream about the day I have a successful fashion blog. I see a lot of things wrong with this, including the fact that I rarely dress in anything fashionable anymore since I stay at home, but that's neither here nor there.

I now feel completely guilty for sitting at the computer during the few minutes I could be doing something productive. So I'm off like a flash to be busy busy busy until I finally collapse into bed tonight. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment