Sunday, January 8, 2012

Goodbyes

Saturday has always been Nate's sleep-in day. Milo and I try to clear out of the house on an adventure each weekend so as not to wake him, and yesterday was a gorgeous day. I had big plans to head to the park and picked up my phone to text Jen and see if she and Michael and the kids wanted to go with us...

And then I remembered that they're in Colorado now. They are enjoying a fresh start. Their house just across the railroad tracks from us is empty. There's no popping over or running a quick errand together. There's only one of my least favorite words.

No, it's not the "m" word (m-o-i-s-t - EW, defiled my blog), despite how much I hate it. It's good-bye. No matter how much I avoid the word, it's still suspended in the air all around me, pricking me with sadness every time I remember. Good-bye. It reeks of heartwrenching loneliness, providing a sense of closure and unfinished business at the same time.

I hate the words we use to try to avoid good-bye. "See you later." "Talk to you soon." "Can't wait to see you again!" "Tata... Adios... Ciao..." It all means the same thing. Someone you looked forward to seeing often won't be there anymore. I'm tired of good-byes as I've said way too many in the last few years.

Enough self-indulgent whining for one day. I'm going to say hello to a new week and a new attitude in a minute. Just as soon as I say hello to some oreos as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment