Thursday, March 17, 2011

Good ol' St. Pat

I went this whole day without wearing a stitch of green. Not an earring, not a pair of undies, nada. I didn't even carry a green purse like Ann, who was told by the man at Dollar General, "Ooooh, it's lucky you gotta green bag, I was finna pinch you." But did anyone pinch me? No. Did anyone other than me even recognize that it was St. Patrick's Day? Hmmmm, nope. Who was the one who suggested that we celebrate our Irish-ness with a shamrock shake? Oh, that's right. ME. Am I the only person in east Texas other than our friendly Dollar General employee who celebrates the luck o' the Irish? This time of year I really miss the North.

Ann and I were discussing what nationalities Milo has most, and we realized that he gets quite a bit of German from me, and quite a bit of Indian from Nate. Which, in our humble opinion, makes him Germindian. Lucky him. Apparently Germindians are some of the most gorgeous (and rare) creatures alive.

In other news, let me tell you a little bit about me and my beautiful mother. My whole life, my mom tried to convince me to become a nurse (despite my weak stomach and overall distaste for the functions of the human body). "You'll always have a job, honey," was her argument, and you've got to admit, she's right. However, not only am I easily disgusted, but I also lack a certain amount of compassion for people in pain (I blame it on my own high pain tolerance).

That said, I'm playing nursemaid this week, and I'm sure Mom couldn't be prouder. Nate and Ann both had some dental experiences, Ann with the removal of 4 wisdom teeth, and Nate with his 6 fillings, 2 wisdom teeth extractions, and cementing of a permanent bridge. WOW. I feel for them, I really do. But I also went through the removal of all 4 impacted wisdom teeth with nothing but ibuprofen and nerves of steel, so I have to remind myself that this can be an extremely painful experience. People, I am taking care of 3 babies, and only one of them is actually an infant (and the other two enjoy playing Mario for Wii on pain medication). Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, but I'm sure you know how I feel.

Days like these I remember that my new job is a 24/7 one, and I want to give my own stay-at-home mom a hug every time I think about it. No breaks. No days off. Just being a supermom every single second of every single day. So let me celebrate St. Patrick's Day by saying this. I love you, Mom. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. aw....sorry *I* didn't get all festive, either! But in my state, I'm surprised I even remembered our date, AND came fully clothed! :) Emily

    ReplyDelete