Thursday, June 7, 2012

Completely unposed Milo goodness

Well, it's time for some completely unposed Milo goodness. My child entertains me non-stop, and were I to pose him, I could never get such wonderful shots.

While we were in Houston, we took an adventure to Luke's Locker to have our strides analyzed. Nate had been having some knee trouble that undoubtedly came from the Nike Shocks he'd been running in (my fault completely), and I told him that it was his shoes, but I didn't know how to help. Well, our new friend John got Nate hooked up right away, and just for fun, we had him check my stride, too. If you're not a runner, you probably won't care about this - just skip to the picture of Milo. If you are, though, here goes...

Nate's arch was partially collapsing when he walked/ran/etc., which was causing him a lot of pain on the inside of his knee. The shoes he was wearing were causing his leg to come down sideways, putting more pressure on his knee joint. John put him in a neutral cushioned shoe with just a bit of stability, and his knee is feeling better after just walking around in his new Nike Zoom Elites for a day.

I, on the other hand, have been wearing a bulky, motion-control pair of Asics since I had trouble with my outer knee last summer. I couldn't figure out why I feel exhausted after every run. Well, it turns out that even though I have really high arches, they're really strong, so I can wear a minimalist shoe with no sweat. I've been lugging around a shoe that feels like a brick, so my runs aren't quite the same. My new shoes weigh practically nothing, and I have a feeling I'm going to feel like I'm flying the next time I head out in them. I had a heck of a time choosing between the Brooks PureConnects that I ended up with and the Nike FreeRuns, but now I know I love both shoes. And even though I wasn't having any knee trouble, my fabulous husband bought me the shoes I'd fallen in love with anyway.

So what have we learned here? Nike Shocks = BAD. All runners are different, and it pays to ask someone who knows what they're talking about. And Milo is going to be a runner for sure.
I let Milo look at my new shoes in the box this morning. I turned around to wash some dishes, and before I knew it, he had them out and was clomping around in them.

Milo also figured out how to climb onto the couch, so I let him stay up there (as long as he was sitting), and even gave him some books to read.

No, I didn't pose him. He was literally sitting like this on his own.

Nate loves to make himself a comfy area (like the corner of our L-shaped couch, which is filled with pillows, remote controls, a blanket, and a coaster, and is now molded to the shape of his body). Looks like Milo is going to be the same way. He and Nate got Milo all set up with a little nest in the laundry basket, complete with a couch cushion, blanket, books, and a drink.

2 comments: