Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Marathon training at its finest

Running in East Texas is always an adventure. For example, the other day, when I almost ran on top of a slithering snake and screamed loud enough to wake everyone in a neighborhood. Or today, when an armadillo was crossing the road, and I literally said, "Keri, what do I do?" She told me to just keep running, so I did, with my eye on that chubby little armadillo the whole time he waddled across our path.

But nothing beats what happened when Keri dropped me off back at my car, parked at a local elementary school. I noticed that I was one of two cars there, since it was only 6:15. The other car was parked as close to mine as humanly possible, and when we pulled up, a woman of at least 70 poked her head out the window. I whispered to Keri, "Do you think I took her parking spot?" and then giggled.

"Hey, ya'll runners going to park here very often? Because teachers get here and want to park in their spots." Oh my word, I was kidding, but it was for real. I had taken this woman's parking spot.

Keri called out, "Well, this is the latest we'll ever get back. Do the teachers get here this early?"

The woman looked at us sassily. "Well, I'm here..." Right. And then she added, "And tell your friend with the speedo -"

Keri interrupted, "No one running in a speedo is with us."
The woman replied, "Well good. That man got out of his car in his speedo right here in the parking lot where all my little 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders come, proud of himself as can be (insert demonstration of a very manly strut). I wonder if he'd be so proud if I came out and beat the devil out of him?"

I stifled laughter as Keri nodded her head in agreement. "Well, have a nice day, and we'll be sure to park out of the way from here on out!"

No way I'm ever parking there again if I'm going to be accosted by a woman p.o.'ed about her parking spot or a man in a speedo. Ahhhh, East Texas. You always keep the stories coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment