Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The mountain

May I make an odd confession?

I love grading essays.  I'm teaching 10th grade this year, and I am thrilled to show students how to write.  I love brainstorming, conferencing with them after they pre-write, and helping them enhance their stories. But most of all, I especially love to see the finished product.  Perhaps it's because I love doing any sort of editing, but I find myself really getting into making comments, suggesting improvements, and even picking out the things my students do well.  (if you're a teacher, please don't hate me just yet)

So why on earth can't I make myself grade the PILE of essays on my desk right now?  I really mean to get around to it, but when it comes to grabbing that stack and going to town, I always manage to find something else to do.  And today I even told a student, "Well, I promise I'll have them graded by Friday.  I just can't rush myself, because I tend to grade lower when I rush."  She, of course, nodded and solemnly replied, "Oh, Ms. Jackson, please take your time, then."

Seriously?  There may be a tiny sliver of truth to that, but I'm not sure where it is... because what I meant to say was, "Well, by the time I finish my day, I'm so tired that I have to eat a snack just to get me down to the car, and there's no chance I can grade your essay when I get home because I will assuredly fall asleep on top of it and smudge the entire piece with drool."  Are teachers allowed that kind of blatant honesty with their students?  I think not, especially since it might scar them for life to realize that their teachers do have a life outside of the classroom.

And by the way, since kids seem incapable of tact, and most often tell the truth whether it hurts or not, should I believe that I truly am bigger than I was when they saw me on Friday? (And by the way, I believe the quote was, "Ms. Jackson, you're HUGE!  What happened this weekend?"  Nothing quite compared to a student who hadn't seen me since last year and literally shouted, "Ms. Jackson, you're a big ol' girl now!" with a giggle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment