Friday, June 3, 2016

Book Review - Delilah: Treacherous Beauty


I received a copy of Delilah: Treacherous Beauty by Angela Hunt from Bethany House to review. I was interested in this one because I previously reviewed Esther and Bathsheba by the same author and series. I was fans of the other two, but I just couldn't get behind this one.

I will admit, I always enjoy a different perspective on stories. In the other novels, we've gotten the main character and then a supporting character that adds to the story. This time the story was told from Delilah and Samson's perspective, and I'm going to be honest - it went a little cheesy. The author spun it as a love story (including betrayal) between the two, and I just couldn't believe it. Is it that I've just been conditioned to view Delilah as the harlot temptress? I'm not sure. I will say that I got a decent view of Samson as just a man, which is always interesting, but the author went a little too far in trying to paint him as an outsider who never belonged anywhere because of his "gift." 

I also had a huge beef with the fact that I need historical fiction to be just that- historical. Hunt missed the fact that rabbits aren't kosher, and she had Samson hunting and eating them several times. Maybe she just figured he'd break that part of the Torah since he was lax in other areas? I don't know, but it just got under my skin somehow.

All in all, this was an interesting and quick read, but my least favorite of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment