Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Cranky mornings and late nights

The older I get, the more I appreciate routine. I always thought of myself as a spontaneous, carefree, fun-loving person... I have this sneaking suspicion I was wrong. Maybe it was just having Milo and Lucy that made me appreciate a schedule, but I am used to having things a certain way, and I don't love having the flow disrupted. The amazing thing about kids is how good they are at changing the routine.

If you've ever read my blog before, you know how much I adore my little people. You may also know that I am, for the most part, a morning person. I've always loved getting up before everyone else, having a bit of quiet, a morning run, a giant mug of coffee and some quiet time to read the Bible. This has normally worked out really well for me because my little people have tended to sleep a little on the late side - usually until 9 or 9:30 (bliss). And then summer happened and now Milo is in my face before I even wake up, right around 7 or so... That's a two hour time difference, people, and I am growing weary of being startled awake by a tiny nose touching mine. Usually Lucy sleeps a little bit longer, but nobody around here is sleeping until the 9:00 hour anymore, which means I can no longer get up at 7 and still have my time. My old routine is out the window, and if I'm going to craft a new one the way I like it, I'm going to have to start going to bed a lot earlier.

That said, I'm a little on the tired and cranky side today. It's not my little people's fault - it's my own nighttime-downtime-loving-tired-of-my-baby-teething self staying up late. So I'm posting one of my favorite songs for you and I both to enjoy. Here you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment