Thursday, September 18, 2014

2014 Forest Festival

It's that time of year again - the Texas State Forest Festival has come to Lufkin. You can watch a lumberjack competition, get fried alligator on a stick, pet a yak, and ride yourself dizzy on an assortment of carnival rides all in the same night. We did none of these things (although we did gaze pensively at a yak, for the record), but we did still have a good time.

I was pretty excited about taking the kids this year because Lucy is at the age where she loves to look at everything and can toddle around. I thought she'd be pretty impressed with the animals, love the high school cheer/dance competition, and maybe even ride a pony. And Milo has always loved festivals and carnivals, so I figured we were set.

Can I just be honest? The kids were not super impressed. They were really tired and pretty zoned. They both danced a little at the dance competition, but we were there at the wrong time for much excitement (no offense, middle school pom and dance teams...).

Yay, family selfie.
Those are two handsome men right there.
We did purchase the largest mango I have ever seen in my life, and Lucy and Milo devoured it. And then we tried a pony ride. Milo, of course, hops up there like a pro every time and rides the pony like he was born on one (he wasn't). Lucy tends to be the more adventurous of the two, so I thought she would ADORE it. Hmmm. Not so much. I walked alongside her and held on to her, and she tried to climb off the entire time. In fact, I just pulled her off after a few minutes and the man working the exhibit gave me my money back. Oh wait. Did I mention she screamed the entire time? Milo saw the pictures and said, "Oooooh, Mommy. I liked how you wrestled Lucy on that horse." That's pretty much how it went down.

Milo - delighted. Lucy - screaming.

Thumbs-up.

We almost didn't ride the ferris wheel, which is Milo's favorite, for lack of cash. But we found an ATM, and despite the fact that it had started to rain, Nate was determined that it was happening. So while Lucy, Pegs, and I looked on, Milo and Nate rode the fastest-moving ferris wheel I've ever seen. And sweet Milo told Nate, "Daddy, I can't even believe it. I wanted to do this all night." And that makes everything worthwhile, right?
Best. Dress. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment