Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lessons from the playpen

I've been feeling a tad bit like a bawling, squawling baby in a playpen these days (I'm sorry, I believe the P.C. word is pack 'n play). Weird, right? But I keep thinking that I must be doing to God exactly what Milo has been doing to me...

Think of it this way. Why do you put a child in a playpen? I do it to keep Milo safe while I have to be doing something else. You know, like being attentive to personal hygiene and actually getting a quick shower in the mornings. But does Milo like it? Absolutely not. The second I step out of his sight and into the shower, he starts howling, and no amount of singing at the top of my lungs or playing peek-a-boo around the shower curtain helps. He wants me right next to him, in plain sight, and until he gets that, there's no appeasing him (perhaps they should re-rename the pack 'n play to include the word fun so that kids know that's what they're supposed to be having in there...).

So I've been in a bit of a standstill right now. Call it a quiet place, call it a wilderness, call it what you like. I'm going to refer to it as a playpen, and I've been crying about it for months now. And actually, I've been crying about Milo crying, too, while I'm at it. But it came to me while Milo was screaming and I was showering. I'm here so that my Father can keep me safe while he's working on things (although I doubt He's in the shower...), and as soon as He's ready to get me out and take me somewhere else, that's what we'll do. And just because I don't see Him right in front of me doesn't mean He isn't there. I may not like it, but I should be thankful that I'm safe and cared for and quit my whining.

It's amazing the lessons being a parent will teach you about being a child, right?

1 comment: