Monday, October 10, 2011

What in the world?

I have a lot of things to say about this. Well, in theory, I do. However, after reading this article, I find myself completely astounded and almost unable to form a complete thought. But let me just start with this...
Who was this woman's doctor?
What was she thinking?
And does running a marathon bring on labor?
Look at that poor baby... She looks entirely too pink and pissy to be happy about the events leading up to her birth.
Rather than try to explain to you, I just copied and pasted the article, compliments of Yahoo!Sports. And let me just tell you this. If I ever try to run a marathon 39 weeks pregnant, somebody had better try to discourage me.


Woman gives birth hours after completing Chicago Marathon

By Maggie Hendricks


A woman from suburban Chicago participated in the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Sunday, grabbed some late lunch, then went to the hospital and gave birth to her daughter. Yes, that makes your lazy Sunday 10 times lazier in comparison.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Amber Miller, who was nearly 39 weeks pregnant, got the OK from her doctor to run half of the 26.2-mile event that winds through the neighborhoods of Chicago. With her husband at her side, she ran the first half and then walked the second half, finishing the marathon with a time of 6:25.

Miller said that she did experience contractions near the end of the run, but still was able to cross the finish line. Marathon officials were supportive, and no one discouraged her from running.

"Nobody tried to do that," she said. "It wasn't too bad, you know? I have been running all the way up until this point anyway so I'm kind of used to it."

June was born at 10:29 p.m., and weighs 7 pounds, 13 ounces.

1 comment: