Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tiny baby feet

Do you ever have one of those moments where you want to squeeze the first person you can grab as tightly as possible and hang on for a little while? I couldn't wait until Milo got up this morning so I could spend time snuggling with him. A friend of ours' son pulled out in front of a train and was killed... The news shocked and upset me so much that I could barely comprehend it.

I sat for a while, knitting and thinking about death in general. I guess it's been on my mind this month anyway, and I was trying to decide which was worse - a sudden death that takes you by surprise, or one that you see coming. I've experienced people dying both ways, and I've realized that nothing can prepare you, no matter what anyone says. But to lose your own child. Ouch. The idea literally punches me in the gut and leaves me sick.

Milo got up after I had about 30 minutes to process, and he didn't disappoint. He was all smiles and cuddles and funny sounds. He kept signing for more scone this morning (yes, I feed my child scones - so?), and I told him, "You know, Milo, you could say 'More' with your mouth." He promptly signed more and then pointed in his mouth. Miscommunication at its finest, right? And as I spent a little time with him, the sick feeling left my stomach, and I thanked God out loud that He protects Milo every second. No sense in worrying about losing him because he's covered. So here's a picture of something I'm extraordinarily grateful for always - tiny baby feet that will someday become big man feet that will forever follow his Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment