Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Shadow of the Storm by Connilyn Cossette

So I just finished another book for Bethany House Publishers, this one called Shadow of the Storm by Connilyn Cossette. There were parts of it that I really liked, and parts that I thought were a bit much, but overall, I enjoyed this one.

The story follows a young Hebrew woman training to be a midwife in the wilderness after the Exodus. There were gorgeous descriptions of the presence of God in the midst of the people, and I wish there had been more about the building of the Tabernacle, just because you don't get a lot of fiction covering that topic. The whole premise of the book was fascinating to me because I haven't read anything regarding the Hebrews' perspective of life after Egypt. It was extremely relevant because they talked so much about trying to unify groups of people who didn't want to get along and had become accustomed to living in their own tribes. I also liked the idea of people who had lived as slaves trying to learn how to be free.

I liked the characters, although I thought the author gave the main character just a tad too much DRAMA. I was also really interested in other characters, like Jumo, that just kind of got dropped. Maybe the author is planning a whole other book about him (and if not, there's an idea for her)?

All in all, good and quick read, so go for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment