Thursday, March 24, 2016

Kate's little helpers

I have a routine in the mornings. I get up for my morning walk, do my study time, and get a shower, all before my little people wake up (in theory). The time change has destroyed my routine, and I find myself scrambling to be prepared for the day. I have a two and a half year old and a five year old, so if I miss my shower, I just miss my shower (EEEEEEEEK!!!!!). Yesterday they were both up bright and early, and I was panicking because Michael and Jen and the kids are in, so I actually had to leave my house. With no shower. Completely unacceptable (and honestly, no shower is ALWAYS completely unacceptable - it throws everything into a funk for me).

I decided to just take a quick shower so as not to be offensive, and I left my little people with a stack of books, instructions for no fighting, and a promise to be back in five minutes.

As soon as I turned off the shower, there was a knock at the bathroom door, and I saw four little sets of toes peeking under the door.

"Mommy! Can we come in?" I hadn't even managed to grab my towel yet, so I called back, "No! What's going on? Is something wrong?"

"Well, it's just that our bathroom floor is soaking wet!"

I paused, took a deep breath, and knew I had to ask. "Why is the floor soaking wet?"

"We were mopping, and now the floor is soaking wet!"

Mopping? "Why were you mopping? Did someone have an accident?"

"No! We just wanted to be helpers so we're doing chores around the house. We cleaned the back door, too."

I'm not sure how they managed to get so much done in the under five minutes I was in the shower, but I need to hone these amazing skills. I convinced them to just sit down and read while I dried off and got dressed, and when I came out, I couldn't even be upset. My little sweet peas had attempted to mop their bathroom, even though they don't know how to wring out the mop (that was an easy fix). And they wet washcloths and filled them with soap to wash my back door (my back sliding GLASS door - still a decently easy fix, though). Who knows what else they would have done had I taken the time to wash my hair?

Here's to my little helpers!



No comments:

Post a Comment