Tuesday, May 3, 2016

My mouthy lady

Do you ever have those moments with your mouthy little people that make you want to cry, and I don't mean in the sweet way?

Lucy is attentive to details, especially if they concern babies. And a baby is any person even remotely smaller than her. We played at the play place in the mall yesterday because it was rainy weather. There were adorable little twin girls running around, just shy of 2 years old. They were precious, and cheery, and all over the place.

Besides appreciating their general cuteness, I didn't pay too much attention, until I saw Lucy giving one of them the once-over, and then following her around, leaning in and staring at one of her arms. I did a quick check and realized that this little cutie was missing one of her hands, and I tried to get to Lucy before she opened her beautifully big mouth. No such luck.

"Hey, hey! Where's your other hand? Where did it go?" Lucy did a quick sweep of the floor and the slide, like she was searching for it. She was genuinely concerned, but so darn loud about it. "Hey Milo, she doesn't have the other hand! Where is it?"

I wanted to sink into the earth as I apologized to the mommy, who probably hears this kind of nonsense all the time... She was so kind and told me, "She's a little kid. Kids are curious!"

And she's right. Kids are curious. But I always want mine to be kind before curious. Try explaining that to a two-year old, though, and you come up short. I left the mall with a sad heart, trying to figure out how I could have handled that situation better.

No comments:

Post a Comment