Friday, November 28, 2014

A Salvaged Thanksgiving

If there's something I will say about 2014, it's that everything has been hard. Nothing is ever what I expect, and if you know my personality, you know that I prefer things to go according to plan. My plan, actually... I'm working on changing this about myself...

Anyway, Nate got a horrible stomach bug Tuesday night. He was sick all night long and most of the day, and by the end of the day Wednesday he had said there was no way he could travel to Houston to Ann and Matt's for Thanksgiving. Milo, Lucy, and I would go without him, and while that felt awful, we didn't want to disappoint Ann and Matt because they were hosting for the first time this year. My brother and Diana already couldn't go because they work retail.

Cut to Thanksgiving morning. I had gotten up at 4 a.m. to start lentils and rice in the crockpot, went back to sleep for a bit, and started the day bright and early with a shower. Just as I was getting ready to put on makeup, Mom called. She was sick, too. And not only was she sick, but Sarah's little people Kaylee and Braylen were sick, too. I panicked a little. Talked to Sarah. Sarah talked to Ann... And just like that, family Thanksgiving was cancelled. I understand - who wants to cook a huge turkey for just a vegetarian and her two small children? I sat on the floor with Lucy, who had also gotten up bright and early, and cried my disappointed little eyes out. No family Thanksgiving. A husband sick in bed. A super cranky little Lucy. The day wasn't boding well.

When Milo got up, we spent some time talking about what we're thankful for and writing those things on the thankful turkey feathers. He cried when I told him we weren't going to Ann and Matt's house, but I just told him to let the disappointment out and be done with it. And then he was. And I realized that I was going to have to make Thanksgiving special for my little people. There couldn't be any sulking. If Milo could let go of his disappointment at the age of 3, I guess I could let go of mine.

Nate ended up waking up feeling a little better, and we decided to use the food I had prepared to take to Houston (lentils and rice, sweet potato casserole, pumpkin cheesecake, corn, and chocolate-dipped pretzels) and supplement it with some turkey from the store. I ran to Brookshire Brothers and found a rotisserie turkey breast. Bingo. We were in business.

And so we spent the day as a family. We ate a Thanksgiving dinner complete with turkey. We made a thankful turkey craft and went to a movie (Penguins of Madagascar - I wouldn't recommend it for any sensitive little people and am regretting that we let ours watch the whole thing). Thanksgiving was far different than what I had expected, but you know what? It wasn't bad. It was different, but not at all bad. Yes, I missed my family. I don't know if I've ever had a Thanksgiving without at least some of them. But we enjoyed ourselves anyway.

I'm thankful that my little people are happy and well, despite recent obstacles.
I'm thankful for my amazing husband who manages to give me perspective, even when he's sick.
I'm thankful for my two little rays of sunshine, Milo and Lucy.
I'm thankful for my home, and the fact that I get to stay home with these little people.
I'm thankful for tough times that make me see the joy and beauty in the simplicity of life.
Happy Thanksgiving, the day after.

This is our thankful turkey. Milo and I saw the idea on Pinterest and BOTH fell in love with it. I tried to call him Henry, but Milo was insistent that his name simply be Thankful Turkey.

He literally carried this around with him all day, and when he wasn't holding it, Lucy was.

Here's Lucy planning her strategy to get that turkey...


Thanksgiving selfie 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment